Photo courtesy of Art Comments via Flickr.
Art Basel 2014, which kicked off in Basel, Switzerland in June, is running in Miami Beach from December 4-7.
2014 marks the 45th year of the popular but sometimes controversial contemporary art show.
Here are 7 things you should know about Art Basel:
1. Founded in 1970, Art Basel has become the world’s premier contemporary art show
2. It’s held in Basel, Switzerland, as well as Miami and Hong Kong
3. The art exhibited at the 2013 Miami event alone was worth more than $3 billion
5. It’s sometimes criticized for for commodifying art, turning the art world into a hollow investment exercise.
Riot police broke up a party/protest that built an artificial favela, or slum, outside of Basel last year as a protest against the large sums of money spent:
7. It hosted a GIF festival in 2012:
This article was originally published on June 19, 201 4.